Sunday, December 21, 2008

On the 9th day of Scrap-Mas....

.... the Pretty Committee gave to me: some money saving tips from design team member Stephanie!


I work in a scrapbook store, so I know first-hand how quickly scrapping supplies add up. It doesn't take much effort to spend a small fortune on paper and embellishments. One of my goals for 2009 is to make more layouts, but spend less money making them. I know what you're thinking: "is such a thing possible?!" Working at the store, I've picked up a few money saving tricks and I thought I'd pass them along.



1. Organize your supplies. I'm not saying you have to call in Martha Stewart or hire the crew from TLC's Clean Sweep, but I do think it's important to keep your scrapbook supplies organized in one common place. The more organized you are, the more aware you'll be of what you already own and you'll be able to avoid buying things you already have lying around. I'm lucky to have an entire room to organize my supplies in, but there are ways to stay organized even if you only have a small corner of a desk. I love this desktop organizer by Making Memories ... it has lots of room to hold paper and embellishments, and the little drawers are perfect for ribbon, buttons and tiny accessories.





2. Buy double-sided patterned paper, and paper with stripes. People could save a bundle on patterned paper if they were more selective about the paper they bought. I rarely use an entire sheet of 12x12 paper on a single layout, so I love getting my hands on double-sided patterned paper because it means I can use it twice and get two completely different looks. I also love using paper with stripes because if I cut the stripes out, I can use them several times on a layout and it looks as though I've used several different papers. These two papers by Scenic Route (top) and Making Memories (bottom) are two of my favorites. For just $1.50, I get 15 different designs that I can cut out and use as individual strips. If I were to buy 15 sheets of patterned paper at $0.75 each, I'd be spending $11.25!!!!!



3. Make a shopping list. Keep a list of things you need and/or want. Before heading out the store, edit the list. Give yourself a specific budget, and decide what you absolutely cannot live without. Then, because scrapbook stores are always getting new supplies in, allow yourself a $5-$10 bonus to spend on items you weren't expecting to find. Sticking to a shopping list will help you stay within your budget, and allowing yourself the luxuary of buying one or two small "impulse purchases" will keep the shopping experience a fun one.


4. Get artsy fartsy with your layouts. Remember, there are no rules in scrapbooking so don't fool yourself into thinking that EVERY layout needs to have patterned paper, letter stickers, flowers, etc. Sometimes, forcing yourself to make do with what you already have can lead you to create an incredible layout that really captures your artistic personality. This is a layout I made using only paint, buttons and some left-over rub-ons I had in my stash.


5. Share your stash. I'm lucky that all of my closest girlfriends (and even my mom!) are scrapbookers. If you have one or two friends who scrapbook, consider splitting the cost on certain items like punches, Cricut/Slice cartridges, templates, etc. Of course you'll have to come to some sort of a "custody agreement" regarding who will keep the item and for how long, but if you're able to share with others you can save hundreds of dollars on pricey items.



I hope some of these tips will help you save some money in 2009. Leave a comment letting us know how YOU save money when it comes to scrapbooking!


Wishing you all a very merry Christmas

4 comments:

rpfangirljr said...

These are great stash using ideas. I have been trying to practice most of them since last year (2007). Good luck with keeping up with your goals.

Donna.

Stephanie Baxter said...

I SO needed this...I don't have very much money at the moment!

mica said...

Thank you for your tips. I am pretty disciplined about my spendings. But the papers are my weakness. Create more and buy less... that's the way to go!!

Liza said...

Great ideas! Definitely timely coz I need to slow down on my scrapping spending!