Sunday, March 1, 2009

introducing ....

Amanda ... our guest designer for the month of March! We fell in love with Amanda's feminine, whimsical style and are so excited to have her on board with us for the month of March. We asked her some questions to get to know her better, and here's what she had to tell us ... Name: Amanda
Location: Florida, USA
Likes: Art. Artists. Being creative. Design. Photography. Black and white. Sushi. Music. Musicians. Cold Weather. Shopping.The city. Vintage. New places. People who listen. Etsy. RENT. Poets. Crushes. Dreaming.
Dislikes: Roller coasters. Cooking. The heat. Early mornings. The economy. The war. Cliques. Bad fashion. Paris Hilton/Lindsay Lohan.

- Tell us a little about yourself ...

I’m part of a small family. Mom, dad, sister, Yorkie named Chloe, and as of July of last year, a brother-in-law. My brother-in-law, John, is a police officer and a jokester- when he’s around everyone is always laughing. My mom was born to be a mother. She’s nurturing, selfless, and loves to take care of her two children- there are no limits to her love. As a young child, my sister, Ashley, wanted a “baby sister.” So, mom and dad gave her one. She is 11 years older than me! The age difference had its advantages and disadvantages growing up. We very seldom fought which was a good thing, but when I was just 7 years old, she moved out of the house to attend college, which meant I saw very little of her. My sister and I really became close during my high school and college years. Now, we’re best friends. My dad was in the Army and we lived in Germany for 3 years. During that time, we traveled to Holland, Paris, France and a few other places. Like many military families, when dad decided to retire, we moved to sunny Florida. I have lived here since I was 6 and I’m now 22 years old. I graduated from the University of Central Florida last May, Summa Cum Laude, with a Bachelors in Psychology. Right now, I love: cupcakes, ballet flats, sleeping in, line dancing, satellite radio, my new Mazda3, politics, Twilight and Robert Pattinson.
- How did you get into scrapbooking?

My 2nd and 3rd grade teacher was a consultant for Creative Memories. She and I were always close and we still keep in touch (we still scrap together at her house and at weekend crops, 16 years later). I went to crops at her house even after I was her student and before too long, I was hooked and became a regular scrapper. Now, I’m absolutely obsessed with the craft.



- What are some of your favorite products, companies and techniques?

Trying to pick a favorite company is like trying to pick out my favorite pair of shoes. It’s impossible. But I can name several: Basic Grey, American Crafts, K & Company, and Prima have always been my favs, and lately, Pink Paislee, Sassafras Lass, and October Afternoon have joined my list. I am a paper addict. I’ll say it. I am addicted to patterned paper. I buy collections of paper in their entirety and often times 2. For me, it’s all about the paper. A page starts with paper, and the paper truly makes it happen. I’m also in love with rub-ons, flowers (can’t do a page without them), paint (especially lately), and sticker letters- AC thickers are my favorite!

- What advice would you give to women who are just starting out in scrapbooking?

First, try not to get overwhelmed! I know, there is A LOT of “stuff.” Just take baby steps. Start out by organizing your photos. Once you have that done, you will feel much better. Now, you can start buying products based on your pictures (instead of me, who just collects products). Next, try to find your style- are you simple, trendy, classic, eclectic, artsy, colorful, or all of the above? And finally, try surrounding yourself with fellow scrappers. There, you can find new friends and inspiration. Friday night and weekend crops are the best place to get your creative juices and scrapper’s “mojo” going.

- Would you consider yourself to be a girly girl? If so, how do you incorporate that onto your layouts?

Gee, if you asked anyone who knows me, you would get a resounding, YES! I am about as girly as you can get. I love the color pink, makeup, shoes, purses, and fashion. I don’t like to sweat or do things that make me sweat (except perhaps line dancing). I don’t play sports, although, I’ve been known to watch football on occasion. ;) And if I see a cockroach, I WILL jump up on a chair and scream (a little). My layouts almost always have some kind of girly accessory, whether it be bling, glitter, or flowers. Even on a boy’s page. I have no shame.


A big thank you to Amanda for answring all our questions and for playing along with us this month. We're *thrilled* to have you on board!

~Stay Pretty!!~

9 comments:

Smash Attack Ash said...

Yay Amanda! I am SO proud of you! :) Being new to the craft (since I don't have time to invest in it!), you have been an inspiration to me. As I've always said, you are truly amazing at what you do. Congrats!

Stephanie said...

Welcome to The Pretty Committee Amanda! Love, love, love your work!

Jessica said...

Thank you for hopping on board with the Pretty Committee this month, Amanda! Absolutely love your pages! And fabulous advice for scrappers, new or seasoned.

Scrappin' Jackie said...

Congratulations Amanda!! Being the aforementioned 2nd and 3rd grade teacher, you never fail to teach ME each time we are together.

Luv you sweetie pie and I am incredibly proud of what a truly brilliant young lady you have become. What a gifted talent you are. Thank you for FINALLY sharing it for everyone else to see.

Liza said...

Hi Amanda, welcome to The Pretty Committee. Love your works. They are whimsical and feminine both at the same time. You are great!

Christina said...

I'm so proud of you!

Anonymous said...

My dear Amanda,

Congrats darling for coming this far! As I have told you in the past, this is only the beginning to your future in the Scrapping World of fame!!!

Love ya, your friend Dee

AMY HOANG said...

Love your style Amanda! The last layout is just AWESOME! Thanks for designing with us this month!

Ashley said...

I couldn't be more proud of you! Gorgeous work and I am constantly in awe of your talent. Love, love, love your answers to the questions! You are amazing in a thousand and more ways!!